[osis-core] Issues related to child elements

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 16:09:34 -0400

Todd,

Comments below:

Todd Tillinghast wrote:

> Attached is an analysis and questions regarding the set of possible child
> elements for many elements in the schema.

<snip>

> 	</xs:element>
> 	<xs:element name="a">
> 				DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE
> 				(Not sure why we have these elements in <a>?)
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W -a -reference
> 				(Not sure why we have these elements in <a>?)
> 				MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END
> 				(Not sure why we have milestones in <a>?)
> 				<xs:element ref="title"/>
> 				(Not sure why we have this elements in <a>?)
> 	</xs:element>

Changed to make <a> consistently a child of all the elements except
<index>, which is an empty element and therefore must be contained by
<a>. Means that <a> will always appear inside these elements.

> 	<xs:element name="abbr">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W -abbr -seg
> 				DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE -hi -date
> 				(If all of these other elements why not hi, date and q?)
> 	</xs:element>

Well, abbreviations are just that, abbreviations. hi, date and q not
appropriate for abbreviation do you think?

> 	<xs:element name="caption">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W -seg
> 				DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE
> 				<xs:element ref="q"/>
> 	</xs:element>

Yes, <seg> added to caption.

> 	<xs:element name="catchWord">
> 			A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W
> 		</xs:element>
> 	<xs:element name="cell">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE + MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END
> 				SPEAKER TRANSLATIONCHANGE MENTIONED -mentioned
> 				(If all of these other elements why mentioned?)
> 				LG LIST P Q VERSE
> 				FIGURE INSCRIPTION SALUTE SIGNED SPEECH TABLE TITLE
> 	</xs:element>

catchWord is a visual reference to a word in the text. usually found in
notes with special formatting to call attention to it.

> 	<xs:element name="closer">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE + MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END
> 				SPEAKER TRANSLATIONCHANGE MENTIONED -speaker
> 				(If all of these other elements why speaker?)
> 				LG LIST P Q VERSE
> 				<xs:element ref="signed"/>
> 	</xs:element>

Yes, could have <speaker> in a closing, by self reference, added.

> 	<xs:element name="div">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE + MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END
> 				SPEAKER TRANSLATIONCHANGE MENTIONED -mentioned
> 				(If all of these other elements why mentioned?)
> 				LG LIST P Q VERSE
> 				FIGURE INSCRIPTION SALUTE SIGNED SPEECH TABLE TITLE
> 				<xs:element ref="div"/>
> 	</xs:element>

Yes, mentioned added to <div>

<snip>

> 	<xs:element name="foreign">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W
> 				DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE
> 				<xs:element ref="title"/>
> 				(Why title?)
> 	</xs:element>

To have a title (as to a work) within the foreign element.

<snip>

> 	<xs:element name="hi">
> 				DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE -hi
> 				(Why not hi?)
> 				MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END
> 				(Why milestones?)
> 				<xs:element ref="abbr"/>
> 				<xs:element ref="w"/>
> 	</xs:element>

<hi> can split to show changes so no need to have recursive <hi>, comments?

Milestones are present so they can occur anywhere in the text, recall
that milestones are not containers so don't impact the content models.

> 	<xs:element name="inscription">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE +

MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END
> 				(Why milestones?)
> 				<xs:element ref="q"/>
> 				<xs:element ref="speaker"/>
> 				<xs:element ref="speech"/>
> 				<xs:element ref="title"/>
> 	</xs:element>

Same as <hi> on milestones.

> 	<xs:element name="item">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE + MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END
> 				LG LIST P Q VERSE -ls -list -verse
> 				<xs:element ref="title"/>
> 				<xs:element ref="transChange"/>
> 	</xs:element>

Sure, lg, list, verse should be in item.

> 	<xs:element name="label">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE + MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END
> 				(Why milestones?)
> 				<xs:element ref="q"/>
> 				<xs:element ref="transChange"/>
> 	</xs:element>

ditto on <hi>

> 	<xs:element name="l">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE + MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END
> 				SPEAKER TRANSLATIONCHANGE MENTIONED -mentioned
> 				<xs:element ref="q"/>
> 				<xs:element ref="verse"/>
> 	</xs:element>

Yes to mentioned.

<snip>

> 	<xs:element name="note">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE + MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END - note -date
> 				(Why not date?)
> 				LG LIST P Q VERSE
> 				<xs:element ref="catchWord"/>
> 				<xs:element ref="figure"/>
> 				<xs:element ref="mentioned"/>
> 				<xs:element ref="rdg"/>
> 				<xs:element ref="title"/>
> 				(Why not table, inscription?)
> 	</xs:element>

Yes to date, table, inscription.

<snip>

> 	<xs:element name="q">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE + MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END -date
> 				(Why not date?)
> 				SPEAKER TRANSLATIONCHANGE MENTIONED
> 				LG LIST P Q VERSE
> 				FIGURE INSCRIPTION SALUTE SIGNED SPEECH TABLE TITLE -figure -inscription -table
> 				(Why not figure, inscription, and table?)
> 				<xs:element ref="closer"/>
> 	</xs:element>

yes to date, figure, inscription, table (mainly for commentaries that
might be quoted and include the same.

> 	<xs:element name="rdg">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE + MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END -date
> 				(Why not date?)
> 				LG LIST P Q VERSE -verse -lg -list
> 				<xs:element ref="transChange"/>
> 				(Why do we see transChange only used here and there? Not sure of its purpose.)
> 	</xs:element>

Yes to date, lg, list, verse, brings it closer to appCrit of TEI.
(transChange is the expanded reading of a scripture passage.)

> 	<xs:element name="reference">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE + MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END -reference
> 				(Why milestones?)
> 				<xs:element ref="title"/>
> 				(Why title?)
> 	</xs:element>

Title as in a work? Why not?

<snip>

> 	<xs:element name="speaker">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W -abbr -foreign -seg
> 				(Why a, index, note, reference, and w and not abbr, foreign, and seg?)
> 				DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE -date -hi (Makes sense to me)
> 	</xs:element>

Yes to abbr and foreign, what meaning would seg have for a speaker?

> 	<xs:element name="speech">
> 					A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE + MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END
> 					SPEAKER TRANSLATIONCHANGE MENTIONED
> 					LG LIST P Q VERSE -lg -list
> 					(Why not lg and list?)
> 					<xs:element ref="inscription"/>
> 					<xs:element ref="salute"/>
> 					<xs:element ref="signed"/>
> 	</xs:element>

Yes to lg and list.

> 	<xs:element name="title">
> 					A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W
> 					DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE -date
> 					(Why not date?)
> 					<xs:element ref="q"/>
> 					<xs:element ref="title"/>
> 	</xs:element>

Yes to date.

<snip>

> 	<xs:element name="verse">
> 				A ABBR FOREIGN INDEX NOTE REFERENCE SEG W + DIVINENAME NAME HI DATE + MILESTONE MILESTONE_START MILESTONE_END
> 				SPEAKER TRANSLATIONCHANGE MENTIONED -mentioned
> 				(Why not mentioned?)
> 				(Why not other elements like catchWord, salute, signed, transchange, rdg,

list, and title?)
> 				<xs:element ref="inscription"/>
> 				<xs:element ref="q"/>
> 	</xs:element>

Yes to list, title (Book of the Wars of YHWH, and similar cases),
transchange (obvious case). catchWord appears in notes,
salute/signed/rdg are not really verse level stuff. Comments?

All these changes will appear in 009. (Conditional on other comments and
suggestions.)

Patrick