[osis-core] Summary of discussion with Patrick regarding proposed conclusion for references.

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 10:20:35 -0400

Troy,

What I am going to suggest to Todd later this morning is as follows:

For anything that you want to use in an osisID or osisRef, you have to
declare a <work> element.

One of the parts of a <work> element is:

<identifier> which (will have) a workID attribute. That is a short form
to refer to a longer identifier for the work. With the bibliographic
information in the <work> element, you can fully identify any work that
you want to use with the osisID or osisRef.

Now, that means that you can have:

<identifier workID="NIV"> for a work element that identifies the full
publication data on the NIV

<identifier workID="Vug"> for a work element that identifies a
particular edition of the Vulgate

All it is doing is declaring a value you can use later for
osisID="Vug:Mark.1.1"

The part that I am going to suggest to Todd that we leave is the
refSystem element in the  <work> element.

The reason for that is just like <creator> under <work> it is just
another fact that is being recorded about the <work> that I am
documenting. It does not have any meaning with regard to the citation
that I am using in the text, although one would be advised to use the
reference system of the work you are citing if you expect useful
results. It in no way implies anything about any of the issues of
transformation and the like that had Todd concerned.

This preserves your ability to record information about the work, such
as the reference system that it uses, without making any claims about
reference systems for the encoding.

Patrick