[osis-core] Summary of discussion with Patrick regarding proposed conclusion for references.

Sun, 01 Sep 2002 10:11:28 -0400

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> PS.  Patrick.  It's 3:30am here.  I'm about to hit the hay.  I'm
> usually seeing your first few posts by now.  What's up?  Gettin' lazy
> on d-day? ;)

Actually I was up earlier working on some non-OSIS (gasp!) stuff for
later today and took a nap this morning!

> I don't understand where we ended up with 3 things we are trying to
> represent: 'work', 'refSys', and 'namespace'?  I don't understand
> 'namespace' (in this context) and in my mind, I absolutely need 'work'
> and sometime 'refSys'.  It seems I've lost 'refSys' and am getting
> 'namespace'.  Maybe someone could help me understand what I'm confused
> about, and why it's really cooler than what I want.

Don't know why Todd has to post such confusing summaries. ;-)

Part of what is confusing is the interjection of the notion of
namespace, which is what we called on the osisID and osisRef the
osisWork identifier, the part before the ":".

I am going to call everyone this afternoon and make sure we all agree
that when someone declares a work element in the header that its workID
(I am changing the name to that from osisID so it won't be confused with
the same attribute name on osisText, no changed in meaning.) is a
reference to the value in the identifier element in work. In other
words, I can say workID="NIV" and under <identifier
type="workID">Bible.NIV.1996</identifier> so that later in the text I
can say: NIV:John.1.1, when I want to refer to the NIV translation of
John.1.1. Nothing more complicated than than.

I need to talk to Todd about eliminating the refSystem element since it
really should not be confused with the question of citing a work, which
is what the foregoing discussed. I agreed with him last night on taking
it out, but now, after thinking about it, saying what reference system a
particular work uses, is just a description of the work, it does not
(need not?) have any impact on what we are doing with our references.

I will wait for Todd to get up and give him a call later this morning.

Patrick