[osis-core] p inside verse?

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:04:17 -0500

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> I'm getting validation errors if I start a <p> mid-verse.  Is this a
> restrictions that we wanted?

Yes, at least I think so. Sorta compelled by having only one hierarchy.
(cf. my notes on how I am trying to solve that particular problem with
JITTs.)

Why would you want to have a <p> in mid-verse? Recall that we attempted
to create an encoding for text structure, not how someone laid out the
typography in a particular case. (Noting that most of the typography I
have seen in Bibles is pathological from the standpoint of conveying
information. Just the facts M'am, not all the fancy display stuff that
is more annoying than useful. Yes, highly personal opinion and probably
not representation of a community larger than one. ;-)

> (I'm cheezing out on paragraph markings for our autogenerated texts
> and am just using a <p /> to mark breaks-- this is all the information
> I have.)
>
> will just change to a <milestone type="p" /> for now.

At the risk of asking you to repeat information you have sent at another
time, can you post an example of this sort of text? Just a snippet so we
can see what it is trying to do?

If is it just breaks in the text flow, I would just use the milestones.
Particularly if it has no reference points, like verses do where I can
direct you to a particular verse.

Patrick