[osis-core] FW: quotes

Kees F. de Blois osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:24:55 +0200

A message from Bob Batzinger from a different discussion list.

Kees

-----Original Message-----
From: osis-admin@lists.ubs-translations.org
[mailto:osis-admin@lists.ubs-translations.org] On Behalf Of
bob@ubs-aptsocap.org
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 11:26
To: osis@lists.ubs-translations.org
Subject: Re: [OSIS] FW: quotes

> Are there known cases in printed versions where the same translation
> is rendered differently?

We have two such cases:

1. I have seen a number of European translations where the page size
determines whether the book will be one or two columns. This in turn has

ramifications on how the text is rendered within the columns. However,
since most of the single column editions were either trial editions
(like the
NIV NT that handed out at Urbana 1976) or study Bibles (like the Teen
Discovery Bible from Zondervan).

2. I have worked some on the teleprompting software which Hosanna Faith
Comes By Hearing uses to convert black print translations into audio
cassettes.  Occasionally in this system, passage like
       "Good Morning!" said John, "How are you?"

would be rendered as

   Narrator: John said:
   John: Good Morning! How are you?

In short, this sort of thing does not come up a lot but it does
happen!!!

Bob