[osis-core] OSIS book abbreviations

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:51:11 -0400

> > If I ask to see Bible.NRSVA.Esth.2.1, which version do I expect to
> > see? Is there a way of specifing one or the other?
>
> When "Bible.NRSVA" is defined, it would have to be defined as
> one or the other.  A second work that represents the
> reference system that differs would be have to defined as
> either "Bible.NRSVA.SomeOtherName" or "Bible.SomeOtherName".
>
> The trouble would come in that it seems that there are two
> differing naming systems in use that are commonly known by
> the same name (NRSVA). I don't think there is much of a
> remedy for that problem outside of not using "Bible.NRSVA".

Well, when I open the NRSVA, I see several different books,
including Genesis, Esther, and GreekEsther. If we were truly
trying to create a reference system for NRSVA, we'd presumably
want a code for each book there in print, no matter the source
or relation of books to each other.

But what we seem actually to be defining is an abstract
reference system that doesn't exactly match the NRSVA. That's
fine, though slightly confusing if we call it Bible.NRSVA.

-Harry