[osis-core] OsisRef problem -- more thoughts

Thu, 03 Oct 2002 17:08:41 -0400

Harry,

I am trying to finish a chapter that is due (collected work ) by Monday
but after that goes out I will start ramping back up on OSIS issues.

A quick response on the encoding issue.

I am not sure this is an encoding issue. What you want is behavior in
the interface that is presented to the user. I have not tried this but
don't see any reason why encountering a series of <reference> elements,
cat the values following ":" to a comma delimited string and display as
a hyperlink. The hyperlink points to a set of individual links (hidden
from the user) which is activated upon selection of the main link and
creates a popup window with each of the references displayed.

Not suggesting to avoid changing the <reference> syntax (entirely at any
rate!) because I can imagine uses where I would want to filter the
references for display, which if they are encoded separately, seems like
an easier task. Separate encoding also makes pointing from an index a
little easier as well.

(If you are interested in what has consumed a number of cycles recently,
take a look at the Just-In-Time-Trees (JITTs) paper at:
http://www.sbl-site2.org/Extreme2002. Matt O'Donnell and I have
developed a model where trees are asserted about markup at the time of
processing, which allows a fuller range of structural encoding than is
presently available with XML software. Not to mention DOM "Lite,"
DATATAG, error correction, dynamic datatyping, and a couple of other
features. Have a demo in XSLT and am looking for someone to hack an XML
parser for a more robust implementation of the idea.)

Hope this finds one and all in good health and spirits!

Patrick