[osis-core] OSIS book abbreviations

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:36:16 -0400

> That's why we can specify which versification standard we
> mean, I guess.
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think using the NRSVA poses any
> problem because all the additions appear in chapters with
> non-conflicting
> numbers (A-F I think, and whatever follows the last chapter).
>  So Esth.2.2
> is still Esther 2:2.

No, they use numbers. So there are two different Esth.2.2 in the
NRSVA under the system you describe. My proposal would be to call
them Esth.2.2 and GrEsth.2.2.

It also makes sense to me to have the book abbreviations match
up with the books of the NRSVA. Having Greek Esther chapters
1 through 10 map to something like Esth.2.2 and the rest to
AddEsth.12.2 seems a bit awkward.

> If you're thinking of a difference between the actual
> translation (from
> Hebrew vs. Greek) and perhaps the Greek version of the same verse
> including additional words, I think that's outside the scope of our
> concern.  It's still the same verse.  We wouldn't think of
> calling Gen 1:1
> from the BHS vs. the LXX different verses from different
> books.  And I'm
> fairly certain the portions of Esther where Hebrew is available are
> translated from that (primarily at least) instead of Greek anyway.

I don't think that's the case in the NRSVA.  They've got two
different versions of Esther, one translated from the hebrew,
and one (with 16 chapters and much different text) translated
from the Greek.  Even common portions are very different.

Unfortunately I don't have my Oxford study bible here to
give real examples.

> Are you actually running into a situation that you find confusing to
> encode?

Er, um, well, no.  I've not dealt much (or well) with references
to apocryphal/deuterocanonical books.

But if we really want to refer to any book, chapter,
and verse of the NRSVA, we'd need a way of specifying
which Esth.2.2 we intend.

-Harry