[osis-core] OSIS book abbreviations

Thu, 3 Oct 2002 13:18:53 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Harry Plantinga wrote:

> I don't think that's a good idea. If that's the case, we
> don't know if Esth.2.2 refers to the verse as it appears
> in Esther or as it appears in Greek Esther. If we're using
> the NRSVA as the standard, those are two different verses --
> the one may have many words not appearing in the other, etc.

That's why we can specify which versification standard we mean, I guess.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think using the NRSVA poses any
problem because all the additions appear in chapters with non-conflicting
numbers (A-F I think, and whatever follows the last chapter).  So Esth.2.2
is still Esther 2:2.

If you're thinking of a difference between the actual translation (from
Hebrew vs. Greek) and perhaps the Greek version of the same verse
including additional words, I think that's outside the scope of our
concern.  It's still the same verse.  We wouldn't think of calling Gen 1:1
from the BHS vs. the LXX different verses from different books.  And I'm
fairly certain the portions of Esther where Hebrew is available are
translated from that (primarily at least) instead of Greek anyway.

Are you actually running into a situation that you find confusing to
encode?

--Chris