[osis-core] Revision/Bug Fix proposal

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 00:47:02 -0700

> Harry, I know you use divType, do you use any of the other named types
> like noteType? I can run sed scripts to fix the files.
>
> Guys,
>
> I had a long discussion with Steve on the <qStart>, <qEnd>, divType,
> noteType, etc. issues:
>
> Suggested fix (read all of it before objecting (more of a note to
myself
> that any of you)):
>
> 1. Change all type attributes, including divType and noteType to type.
>
> 2. Will have commonWithType and commonWithoutType attribute classes.
>
> 3. Elements that now have enumerated types, like <div> will have
> commonWithoutType and its "type" attribute will point to "divType"
which
> is already in place, so fewer typing errors. Same for <note>

Sounds cleaner to me.

> 4. Drop <qEnd> and <qStart>.
>
> 5. milestoneStart and milestoneEnd, get commonWithType, and we add who
> and level to their attributes. (gathered from the other elements that
> are enumerated for the milestoneSE values. Any others that are
peculiar
> to those elements that we should add to milestoneStart and
milestoneEnd?)

This does solve the <qStart> and <qEnd> problem but is a VERY ugly
precedent to start.  Are we going to add in more attributes that make
sense in only some applications to support other needs in the future?

I prefer a clean generic milestone and a few special purpose milestones
over an UGLY generic milestone loaded down with a number of attributes.
I vote to keep <qStart> and <qEnd>.

In any case, I hope the "end" and "start" attributes are still present
in the new version of milestoneStart and milestoneEnd.