Add new quote specific milestone attributes - RE: [osis-core] milestone name inconsistencies

Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:12:41 -0700

Patrick,

I think that it does make sense to use milestones for quotes.  It just
makes encoding drastically easier to accomplish and the result is easier
to read.

The reason the current milestone elements are not sufficient are because
there are specialized attributes present on <q> that are not available
with the current milestone elements.  There are several attributes of
<q> that are not present in the generic milestone element (level and
who).  The type attribute needs to be reserved for its intended purpose.

I propose that we add a pair of quote specific milestone elements.  By
adding these two elements the need to use milestones in most documents
will drop dramatically.

New quote milestone elements.
<qs> for quote start (or <qStart>
<qe> for quote end (or <qEnd>)

Insert the normal milestone matching attributes and put the attributes
that are currently in <q> in <qStart>.

Allow the two new elements where ever <q> is allowed.

:)