[osis-core] Isn't an <identifier type="OSIS"> element required within a <work> element that is used in osisRefWork or osisIDWork

Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:09:05 -0700

Troy,

> I was working under the assumption that the <refSystem> element
> contained an identifier _pointing to_ a document that must have an
> <identifier type="OSIS"> in its *this* work.

My understanding is that the each <work> element with a child
<identifier type="OSIS"> identifies a work (either concrete or
abstract).  In the case where the osisIDWork attribute in <osisText>
references a <work> element then that work element decribes the current
<osisText> element.  In the remaining cases <work> elements identify
other <osisText> instances with matching <identifier type="OSIS"> values
in the <work> element referenced by the "osisIDWork" attribute.

When we were trying to nail the <work> related issues I was in favor of
removing <referenceSystem> as a child element of <work> because its
meaning could be mistakenly used to determine the "fully qualified name"
of an osisID or osisRef in addition to or instead of the value of
<identifier type="OSIS">.

However, Patrick suggested that having a <referenceSystem> element would
not be harmful and would have no different impact on deriving the "fully
qualified name" than any other child element of <work>.  So I left it
alone resting in the comfort that there would always be an <identifier
type="OSIS"> for every <work> that was used in <osisText> attributes
"osisIDWork" and "osisRefWork" and proceeding the ":" in osisID and
osisRef values.

I think it is important to strictly follow this rule so that we can
reliably "resolve" the "fully qualified name" of osisIDs and osisRefs.

Do you agree?