[osis-core] Last Schema from Spain! - <seg>

Wed, 29 May 2002 19:15:54 -0400

Chris,

Good argument for seg (documentary hypothesis, would not need all the
scholarly apparatus for such a task)!

Chris Little wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> Ah, yes, I see now that it was just commented out.
>
> I was using seg to mark emphasized text since we lack emph.  For that
> purpose, it could be used just about anywhere that we can put CDATA.
> But perhaps a real emph element would be preferrable to using seg
> since seg hampers interchange.  Alternately, we could provide some
> standard seg types.

Just curious about the need for emph. Most text is emphasized because it
is different, foreign words in text, names that are special (geographic
for example), first time used (usually means a definition is near), etc.
Most of the cases I can think of are ones that we have elements that
would represent "why" the word is emphasized. Or is this a case where
all we know is that the word was emphasized (legacy text for example)
and don't know why?

Thanks for the suggestions on the content models!

I am leaving fairly early in the morning to take Elizabeth to bassoon
camp so will be out most of the day. May have a new version of the
schema out in the morning, but more likely tomorrow afternoon.

Any comments on dropping key/keyRef? Was a good idea but too costly
(IMHO) to justify the aggravation at this level of encoding. May be an
issue we want to revisit in the future or if it gets fixed in XML
Schema. (the latter being very unlikely)

Patrick