[osis-core] Dublin Core elements and namespaces

Sat, 11 May 2002 11:03:30 -0700

> 1. Should we use Dublin Core <title> (simple string) rather than our
> recursive title element? (Can put Dublin Core title back into
> the schema
> and declare a namespace for it within <header>. Or is that
> likely to be
> confusing? In other words, in <header> you would have
> <dc:title>just a
> string</dc:title> and in the rest of the document, <title>The
> Angle Bang
> Quest<title type="sub">A Personal History<title type="subsub">Being a
> recursive.

I don't have much opinion on this other than that it would be nice to
maintain consistency with DC.

> 2. Same question for <date>. Dublin Core is just string. Our has a
> calendar attribute.

I also think it would be nice to maintain consistency with DC for date,
but I don't think their choice with respect to date was a very good one
since it isn't easily interpreted by a machine and doesn't really encode
very much meaning.  I would even go as far as to suggest that we mandate
use of ISO date in the header since they are unambiguous and most easily
parsed.

And if we diverge from DC in one respect, we might as well diverge in
other respects when we have a better system (e.g. the title element).

> 3. On the more general question of namespaces, should we go ahead and
> stake claim to "osis:" and make it the default namespace for
> our schema?

Seems natural to me.

--Chris