[osis-core] modeling mentioned

Sun, 30 Jun 2002 09:33:52 -0400

Greetings,

Steve wrote:

> if mentioned is to mark meta-linguistic word uses, shouldn't it be
> allowed very widely, which it isn't? essentially in 'soup'?

Possibly. Cf. my post to Eric on the use of mentioned to mark word/words
used by the speaker which are not a quote of someone else but repeating
general phrases in common use. The speaker/text is using the terms but
not as their own, and usually to contrast them with something they are
saying. Example: Patrick said, "I have heard people say "all work and no
play makes Pat a dull boy" but I say, Rome was not built by tourists or
hedonistic nihilists of the 20th century." The mentioned makes it clear
that I am not claiming ownership of the truth or veracity of that part
of the text.

Anyone else care to weigh in on this issue? Suspect it probably should
be wherever quote could occur at a minimum.

Comments/suggestions?