[osis-core] header info format again

Sun, 30 Jun 2002 08:55:45 -0400

Harry,

Quick suggestion, more reasoned one later this week:

Harry Plantinga wrote:

>I am still forced to drop header info in the OSIS header.
>I have author names in two forms: "short form" and "file-as",
>e.g. Alexander Whyte and Whyte, Alexander (1836-1921). I
>don't have any good way to include both forms, since the type
>attribute has other uses:
>
>  <creator type="Author">
>  <creator type="Editor">
>
>etc.
>
>If it were possible, I'd like to be able to say
>
>  <creator type="Author" format="short-form">Alexander Whyte</creator>
>  <creator type="Author" format="file-as">Whyte, Alexander
>(1836-1921)</creator.

Is the problem the lack of structure in the creator element?

I would (from a TEI background) assume the following encoding:

type="family">Whyte</name></creator>

Which avoids inconsistent data entry and allows you to slice/dice/sort
the name at any rate.

Not sure what TEI did with the begin/end dates. Suppose for creator we
could add born/died but that opens up a real can of worms in term of
what other information  one might want to include. For OSIS 1.1, I would
tend towards adding the date information but not much else. (Lots to go
in later but I don't think this would be inconsistent with any future use.)

Patrick