[osis-core] Outstaning Comments/Concerns?

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:39:29 -0400

If it were my choice to make, I'd add <emph> or even <i>. But it's not
my choice. One of the principles apparently guiding the design of
this schema is _no formatting_ and that is OK with me -- it certainly
results in cleaner XML files.

My guess is that some de facto standard will arise for representing
italics, bold, small caps, paragraph-with-dropcap, etc.  Probably
the way that will happen is this:  somebody will make a bunch of OSIS
texts that use a common XSLT and CSS stylesheet.  Others will use
the same set of type names.

I agree that it would be a good idea to agree upon a set of standard
type names.  One way that might happen is this:  students who are
working for me this summer are writing a thml to osis stylesheet,
which will be added to the CCEL's new cocoon-based publishing
architecture.  You'll be able to get any of the books on teh CCEL
in OSIS format by clicking on the OSIS link.  The ThML will be
converted by the server on the fly.

This publishing architecture is already running in experimental
form on the ccel, and an early draft of the thml to osis stylesheet
is in place (not complete or correct, though).  For any ThML document
in the cocoon system with a given authorID and bookID you can get
the OSIS version with the URL www.ccel.org/ccel/authorID/bookID.osis
e.g. www.ccel.org/ccel/eckhart/sermons.osis.  There is a list of
documents in the cocoon system at http://www.ccel.org/xml/php/xmldocs.php
(However, remember that this is still under development. In fact, just tried
the /eckhart/sermons.osis link, and it appears that the osis stylsheet is
malfunctioning. Also, let me repeat that this is an early, incomplete
draft of a conversion.)

Anyway, this conversion will generate at least three files: an xml (osis)
file, a generic OSIS xslt stylehseet for converting to HTML, and a css
stylesheet for the document.  Perhaps there should also be a generic
OSIS css stylesheet with pre-defined types such as
  .x-ital	{font-style: italic}
  .x-bold	{font-style: bold}

If there is call for creating a standard set of types like that, I'm
game.

-harry