[osis-core] Linking proposal

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:11:25 -0400

Greetings,

After talking over Harry's question with Steve this morning, I have a
proposed answer to the question of how to handle <a
href="http://fools.com">! ;-)

We probably don't have the time to properly add XLink to reference.

So, propose to clone <reference> and add an element <a> which has the
same content model as <reference>. Can occur all the places that
<reference> can occur.

Reasoning, what if someone wants to link to their homepage, not a
canonical reference in the traditional sense, etc.?

Attributes for <a>:

W3C has:

(Those marked with * I would exclude in OSIS:

<!ATTLIST a
  %attrs;
  *charset     %Charset;      #IMPLIED : Note we have lang
  type        %ContentType;  #IMPLIED
  *name        NMTOKEN        #IMPLIED
  href        %URI;          #IMPLIED
  *hreflang    %LanguageCode; #IMPLIED
  *rel         %LinkTypes;    #IMPLIED
  *rev         %LinkTypes;    #IMPLIED
  *accesskey   %Character;    #IMPLIED
  *shape       %Shape;        "rect"
  *coords      %Coords;       #IMPLIED
  *tabindex    %Number;       #IMPLIED
  *onfocus     %Script;       #IMPLIED
  *onblur      %Script;       #IMPLIED

I propose that our <a> element have (from our commonAttributes):

<xs:attribute name="ews" type="xs:string" use="optional"/>
<xs:attribute name="ID" type="xs:ID" use="optional"/>
<xs:attribute name="lang" type="languageType" use="optional"/>
<xs:attribute name="resp" type="xs:string" use="optional"/>
<xs:attribute name="type" type="xs:string" use="optional"/>
<xs:attribute name="n" type="xs:string" use="optional"/>

plus

<xs:attribute name="href" type="xs:string" use="required"/> (Not much
sense of having <a> without an href?)

So, propose addition of the following:

<xs:element name="a">
	    <xs:complexType mixed="true">
			   <xs:element ref="abbr"/>
			   <xs:element ref="date"/>
			   <xs:element ref="divineName"/>
			   <xs:element ref="foreign"/>
			   <xs:element ref="milestone"/>
			   <xs:element ref="name"/>
			   <xs:element ref="note"/>
			   <xs:element ref="seg"/>
			   <xs:element ref="title"/>
			   <xs:element ref="w"/>
		</xs:choice>
		<xs:attributeGroup ref="commonAttributes"/>
		<xs:attribute name="href" type="xs:string" use="required"/>
	  </xs:complexType>
</xs:element>

Would occur in: abbr, caption, catchWord, closer, div, divineName,
foreign, head, inscription, item, label, line, mentioned, name, note, p,
q, reading, reference,  salute, seg, signed, speaker, speech,
table/row/cell, title, transChange, verse. (same as reference but with
addition of reference)

Comments, suggestions!