[osis-core] scripCom

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:43:13 -0400

Troy,

I think the inRef and outRef syntax is a hold over from when we were
talking about validating the content of pointers and so it made a
difference if you were pointing into an OSIS document (we could
validate) versus pointing at a non-OSIS document from within one, we
could not validate. I am not sure the distinction is meaningful with our
current syntax.

I never saw the use of the <verse> element as having anything to do with
the identity of a text (either as Bible or non-Bible) and am not sure
why the use of an element would make any particular difference. Profane
poetry has verses but that does not make it a biblical text.

While we have mainly focused on Bibles and the encoding problems found
there, I don't know of any reason why OSIS encoding would not work for
other texts, such a bible commentaries.

Questions we can answer:

"Who am I"  -  XML ID (or ID like attribute)

"What am I" - Possibly type attribute

"Where do I point" - The current reference syntax

I understand Harry to be asking to add:

What class do I belong to - commentary, dictionary, etc.

What is my relationship to the thing I point at - comment on, refutation
of, etc.

Possibly (but I don't think Harry has pushed it this far):

What class of thing am I pointing at - the mirror of the what class am I
question

What is its relationship to me - is it a comment on me, etc.

Probably don't need to go this far in 1.1, need to leave a little bit
for another trip to Washington. ;-)

Patrick