[osis-core] index; commentary

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:44:37 -0400

> >  3. <index type="" title="" subject1="" subject2="">
> >
> Can you expand a little on this one? Do you mean it as something akin to
> <seg> but that operates as an index? Suggested content/container model?

I mean identifying some point or phrase-level segment of text as something
that should go into an index of a particular type. Word processors generally
have a way to mark words and phrases for inclusion in a subject index, and
that would be the type of use envisaged. It could be empty, in which case
you'd need to have a "title" as the index entry, or it could be a container,
in which case you could use the contents of the <index> element. So, I
suppose, all the attributes would have to be optional and the content model
would be like "seg".

> >  4. identify a div as a commentary on a bible passage
> >
> By this I assume you mean an attribute other than our pointer syntax? In
> other words, a reference that is not strictly a pointer, for example:

> point?

Yes, something like that.  But there are really two essential attributes,
at least in the way the CCEL uses such things: the _type_ of the commentary
as well as the target.

Maybe it would be sufficient to be able to specify a referenceType for a
pointer?  E.g. <div outCite="..." citeType="Commentary">

Maybe that could even be a general attribute that could be used in
all tags?  One could say that a <linegroup> is a versification of a
certain psalm with that attribute, for example.

-Harry