[osis-core] Outstaning Comments/Concerns?

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:35:13 -0400

Harry,

Thanks for the reminders! I wrote in some haste and was hopeful of

Harry Plantinga wrote:

>Patrick,
>
>You mention
>
>  1. simple hypertext links

See my latest proposal.

>  2. make the segID optional on <seg> so it can be used as a
>     generic phrase-level container

OK, can do that.

>I brought up some other issues that would need to be handled for use
>with with digital libraries, bible software, etc.
>
>  3. <index type="" title="" subject1="" subject2="">

Can you expand a little on this one? Do you mean it as something akin to
<seg> but that operates as an index? Suggested content/container model?

>  4. identify a div as a commentary on a bible passage

By this I assume you mean an attribute other than our pointer syntax? In
other words, a reference that is not strictly a pointer, for example:

point?

>  5. identifying a part of a document as terms and definitions/dictionary
>     entries/etc.

because that is how I would do terms or a simple glossary. Dictionary
entries, in the sense of real dictionaries,  are much more complex than
could be handled with <list>.)

>One major issue that I haven't heard discussed and that isn't mentioned
>in the OSIS requirements specification is the _purpose_ of the markup.
>Are we marking texts for literary analysis, or for bible software, or
>for electronic bookreaders, or for conversion to multiple formats with
>nice layout?
>
>If you say "all of these," then issues like 3-5 have to be dealt
>with before OSIS will really be well-defined for bible-software-like
>applications. Otherwise different groups will use different conventions
>and hacks. If you want to try to make OSIS work well for bible software,
>let me know, and we can try to think of any additional issues.

Want all of the above and to work well with bible software.

Recall, however, that this is basic markup, not the full set required by
publishers, scholars or translators. Think of it as the underlying basis
for a fuller feature set to be defined on top of it. (The reasoning
behind this modular approach was that I have been involved in several
attempts to define scholarly markup (the last 5%) that had not addressed
the beginning 95%. Hopeful that we can build a solid base for fuller
markup, but a base that will be useful for routine markup.)

Full literary markup, for example, is something that I would see as
being added to the base OSIS schema.

Thanks!

Patrick