[osis-core] empty tag / milestone proposal

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:28:59 -0700

 > What if we provide segmentation in the core (and document the uglier
 > cases and how to at least do them), and then add Troy's 'most things can
 > be milestones when it helps' approach in 2.0? That would buy us time to
 > work out the details more leisurely, and give us some feedback on how
 > painful people find segmentation cases in actual practice.

I think this is a good approach.  As long as we have this as an open
issue on the table and acknowledge a planned solution for 2.0

Adding the mStart mEnd milestoneAttribute group in 2.0 and giving
certain element this property, in 2.0, will not break or change the way
docs are marked up from 1.x.  And it will give us time to hear back real
world accounts of need for this feature, if they exist

 > Troy, since you've been doing this conversion stuff, what's your best
 > guess on how many cases like the triple-embedding one you cited,
 > actually come up in Scripture? Are we talking a few, or a few hundred,
 > or...?

specifically for quotes, this happens most everywhere in the Prophets.

e.g. Ezekiel: God spoke to me and said: Ezekiel, say to may people: Thus
saith the LORD: repent!

this crosses verses, paragraphs, chapters, etc.

My main concern was with the ability for future expansion.  I don't want
to presume to know all the things that people may want to add.  With
milestone-style tags, it doesn't matter, with segmentation, we have to
worry about it.

> I think we need to either prohibit or explicitly allow the use of empty
> forms.

Agreed.

the approach below seems practicle to me: