[osis-core] Self-identificatoin support for <verse> elements that span multiple verse identifiers and <verse> elements that are only a part of a verse identifier

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:42:56 -0400

At 11:10 AM -0600 07/23/02, Todd Tillinghast wrote:
>Related to the problem presented by the previous two posts, it seems
>there are three possible options we could take to support this problem.
>OPTION 2:
>Introduce two new elements that derive from <verse>.  <marcoVerse> and
><microVerse> for cases where the current verse element covers several
>verses or a fragment of a verse as described by the prevailing reference
>system "intended" by the translator.  If/when the translator NEEDS a
>different mechanism than is provided by <verse> then they can use the
><macroVerse> or <microVerse> mechanism.

>This still allows for segmentation of the macroVerse based on its
>macroID.

That's kind of cool -- I'd probably use that myself. I wonder if the
translators would think it's too geekoid, though... It has the virtue
of being explicit about what's going on; and that we could sub-class
the syntax allowed on each one to match (even in schema, I think). I
guess chapters and other big units could also just be macroverses too.

It does leave a burden of intersection matching on all software, though.

>OPTION 3:
>Force these cases to self-identify using an identifier from a
>"work-specific" reference system and leave users to find and use an
>appropiate mapping mechanism between the "work-specific" reference
>system and the common reference system that the document generally
>supports.
>

>I personally really favor OPTION 1.
>
>None of these options provide any support for marking different starting
>and ending points for verses from differing reference systems nor does
>either option provide any support for marking starting and ending points
>for verses that differ from the starting text and ending text points
>within a <verse> element.  Support for this sort of precise point
>marking is only provided through the <milestone> element and is
>secondary to the primary verse self-identification mechanism provide by
>osisID.

The list option (1) is growing on me. What are others thinking at this point?

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net
Email: sderose@speakeasy.net
Backup email: sjd@stg.brown.edu