[osis-core] references and self-ids Part 2 - Ambiguity between work and reference system

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:07:08 -0400

>In January we attempted to simplify by merging the concepts of reference
>system and work into a SINGLE concept.  The assumption was that a work
>is more specific that a reference system and that if a specific work is
>indicated that any "less specific" reference system that the work
>complies with would be derived from the work itself of some other
>source.  It would seem that some of the recent discussion revolves
>around the ambiguity that exists between when an reference system is
>intended and when a work is intended.  Do we intend to continue with no
>distinction between work and reference system?  With the current
>mechanism in the header there seems to be the opportunity to specify
>both.
>
>I have a couple of related proposals in the next post.
>
>Thoughts?

It does seem like we now have an obvious place to hang that
information (sadly, Dublin Core doesn't already give us a "reference
system" field....)  But I could see adding that in there somewhere
(maybe a list of supported reference systems for each work?)

This is the messiest bit, I think, and the one where God has seen fit
to put a greater burden on Biblical scholars than others.... :)

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net