[osis-core] references and self-ids Part 1 - Assumptions/statements

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 08:55:10 -0400

> >4) It is possible to create a reference to a specific work using a
> >reference system that it does not support.  (The
> >translation/transformation would be left to software to resolve.)
> >
> Not sure what this case would look like or perhaps I don't understand
> the statement. Is the reference system used to create the reference not
> supported by the specific work that is the target of the reference? Ex.,
> using KJV reference system to address portions of the Quran?

This would make sense for two different versions of the Bible -- e.g.
bible.lxx
and bible.kjv.  Maybe the notion here could be that the reference systems
are "compatible" whenever there is a translation defined between them, and
this is the case when they have the same prefix.

I'm not sure what to make of the notion of referring to one document in
another, unrelated reference system.

-Harry