[osis-core] references and self-ids Part 1 - Assumptions/statements

Tue, 09 Jul 2002 07:17:33 -0400

Todd,

Great summary. One or two comments below.

Todd Tillinghast wrote:

>I have read through the Patrick's most recent posting as well as several
>of the other postings.
>
>Just to make sure we are all on the same page I put together the
>following statements with I believe are TRUE and represent our intent
>with respect to references.  If you don't believe any of these
>statements to be true please post a response.
>(I am using the term reference in the broadest sense to mean either self
>identification or to mean an external reference that is either work
>specific or work abstract.)
>1) The simple part of the reference (ex Gen.1.1) has no meaning outside
>of the context of at least a reference system.
>2) Whether validated or not a reference system defines the set of valid
>references.
>2) There may be zero or more specific works that are compliant with and
>use a given reference system.
>3) In some cases a reference system and a specific work are equivalent,
>either because a specific work defines the reference system or because
>there is only one instance of the work.
>4) It is possible to create a reference to a specific work using a
>reference system that it does not support.  (The
>translation/transformation would be left to software to resolve.)

Not sure what this case would look like or perhaps I don't understand
the statement. Is the reference system used to create the reference not
supported by the specific work that is the target of the reference? Ex.,
using KJV reference system to address portions of the Quran? Or do you
mean a reference system that points beyond (grain for example) that is
not supported by the target work? (KVJ reference system but points to
fifth word in Matthew 13:1. Since Matthew 13:1 is as far as the
supported reference system allows references, the grain is not supported.

>5) Although a reference system is required, the specific work is
>optional.
>

>It seems that we desire to do the following:
>A) Self-identify text (mainly verses but also ranges of text, chapters,
>and books).
>B) Have the self-identifying identifiers be tied to a reference system
>OR a reference system and a work without having to explicitly state the
>reference system and work with each identifier.
>C) Be able to self-identify text from more than one reference system
>and/or work within a single document.
>D) Create references (not self-identification).
>E) Create a reference to a range of text.
>F) Describe a reference at greater granularity than the reference system
>defines.  (grain)

Yes to all the desires.

Way to go Todd!