[osis-core] Yet More on osis references and pointers

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 15:09:00 -0400

Greetings,

I thought it might help to walk through a senario using the provisional
names Harry coined for the analysis. Obviously skipping the intervening
content, etc.

Senario I.

I have an electronic version of the KJV. Has references to other texts,
status of which in terms of electronic access: unknown.

So,

<osisText> should have an ID that is unique for this text, that
identifies it.

Harry's:

>3.  osisTextID -- a string uniquely identifying an osisText. It may be a
>particular version of a particular edition of Kempis' Imitation of Christ,
>Troy's version 3.1 of his edition of the LXX, etc. Perhaps it should have
>some internal structure, such as augustine_confessions_1.01. (Or perhaps
>versioning is important enough that it should have its own element?)

Perhaps we should not follow the syntax used for osisID or osisRef (as
shown below) since that may confuse what defines the versification and
what defines this text?

So, for purposes of illustration only, lets presume an osisTextID of
"bible.kjv.1612", which is a reference to a workID for a <work> entry in
the header. In other words, there is a full (or as full as you like)
bibliographic entry for the text in the header.

So, we have given the text a unique osisTextID and bound that to a
<work> element.

I know in the text that I want to use the KJV versification for
identifying verses, chapters and books. So, looking at Harry's terms:

>1.  osisIDScheme -- a dot-delimited string, like bible.lxx.en or
>augustine_confessions.pusey. Refers to a "versification" or osisID scheme
>defined elsewhere. That is, there must be a document on the
>bibletechnologies.org website defining this scheme, or this document must be
>declared to define the scheme. For the purposes of the OSIS 1.1 schema, it
>is an opaque string, though meanings of dot-separated parts will be defined
>elsewhere.
>
>2.  osisIDSchemeRef -- a dot-delimited string, like bible.lxx..en-us, that
>refers to any one of a class of osisIDSchemes.  An osisIDScheme matches an
>osisIDSchemeRef if all the tokens present in the osisIDSchemeRef match the
>corresponding tokens in the osisIDScheme. An osisText server, given an
>osisIDSchemeRef such as "bible..en-us", should be able to find a document
>with a matching osisIDScheme if there is one on.

I return to the <osisText> element and add the following:  <osisText
osisTextID="bible.kjv.1612" osisIDSchemeRef="bible.kjv.1612">

Same citation but in a different role.

I begin to enter text and at the first verse enter <verse
osisID="Gen.1.1"> which is by default: [osisISScheme:]osisIDElement,
meaning in this case:

osisID="bible.kjv.1612:Gen.1.1"

But I also want to cite a passage from the LXX in the notes to this edition.

In that case, I need another work entry to bear the osisIDScheme and the
associated information for that work.

so I go back to the header and enter <work workID="bible.lxx">

When I want to cite a bit of LXX text, I compose the ID for the element
as: "bible.lxx:Gen.1.1" which allows it to escape the default mechanism
(Troy do you want to propose a defaulting escape mechanism? Perhaps a
defined default and if absent, no default?)

If I want to do a reference to another work, as opposed to actually
reproducing the text of that work (which requires the "I AM" function of
the osisID, I use the osisRef as follows:

Harry sugggests:

osisRef: [workID:]ID@grain[-ID@grain]

so, <reference osisRef="bible.lxx:Gen.1.1-Gen.1.5">LXX Gen: 1.1 -
5</reference>

Senario II (raises Troy's defaulting question in a slightly different
context)

I want to encode either a historical or new polyglot. Have a unique
osisTextID for the work but how do I deal with matching differing
reference systems?

My suggestion is that to have an osisIDScheme, there must be a <work>
element declared in the header, to which an osisIDSchemeRef can attach.

Not sure where we would put defaulting (if at all) in the resulting text.

Note that the versification scheme used by any text is defined by a
reference to an outside work and not the OSIS schema proper. (Steve has
already noted the need to deal with Harry's request for a declaration of
how to properly prepare IDs for a given scheme and that should appear in
the near future.)

Does this sound like I am following Harry's analysis?

Note that I will be out probably most of the day tomorrow and most of
the day Tuesday. I have been called to the office to finish a
demonstration of a Hebrew grammar.

I will try to check my email early in the morning and after I get back
home every day.