[osis-core] Is this ready for OSIS 1.1?

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 05:30:11 -0400

>I have not tried to encode anything and I have not seen anything encoded
>with the proposed schema.  It would seem to me that aside from the issues I
>just posted that we are ready to encode something.  At the same time, I am
>not sure we can encode anything that is not the KJV that is very large with
>out running into problems with multiple heirarchies.  I would like to look
>more closely at how the current model handles the issues related to multiple
>heirachies (circa late May/early June) already brought up.

The only way to know would be to actually encode something, which I was
sorta hoping that a fairly stable release might promote.

Yes, there are multiple hierarchies and as pointed out in the schema,
verses should be segmented to accomodate those cases. (The <seg> element
is entirely different from segmentation of a verse. See the TEI
Guidelines for a fuller explanation.) Quotes can also be segmented and I
am sure there are a couple of pathological cases but I note that bibles
have already been encoded in markup so apparently there are solutions to
this problem. Segmentation is one of them.

There are no elegant solutions to the overlapping hierarchy problem and
I can't really see delaying any further because we can't offer such a
solution. All solutions require some compromise, from the milestone
approach that offered bloated semantics and no advantage over a single
milestone element but was useful for some software solutions to
segmentation which at least is useful to standard XML software.

I think there are more robust solutions that could be developed for OSIS
2.0, but we are never going to have an OSIS 2.0 if we don't get a schema
and texts out for OSIS 1.1. The question for me is does the current
proposal limit us in ways that what we do subsequently will be harmed? I
don't think so but am anxious to hear other opinions on that topic.