Formal Works Referenced: was Re: [osis-core] osisRef (finally)

Wed, 03 Jul 2002 19:48:33 -0400

Harry,

Harry Plantinga wrote:

>>Troy, Chris, Harry, you will be the early implementers of such texts,
>>how does Steve's suggestion sound to you? (Ignore any syntax errors I
>>made in interpreting his post, we can fix those.)
>>

>The only implementing in my immediate plans is to converting several texts
>to OSIS. There are many references to external texts, and it won't be
>practical for me to convert them to osisRefs, except perhaps for bible
>references.  They'll just be unlinked footnotes and/or hypertext links.
>
>I guess we've got two different types of references floating around --
>standard urls (in the <a> element) and osisRefs.
>
>Or, should <a> use an osisRef referring to an entry in the header which
>gives the URL? That would seem like lots of messing around for no
>obvious advantage.

Sorry to hear you are going to be out of range! Hope we aren't
responsible! ;-)

No to the last suggestion. There are two types of references, one is the
osisRefs and the other is the <a> element. The URL should appear
directly in the <a> element. (Cheap hyperlinking until we layer XLink
syntax onto the schema. Well, and software such as Chris and Troy work
on can use the osisRef.)

Patrick