[osis-core] Index Syntax

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 18:18:44 -0400

Harry,

Harry Plantinga wrote:

>>Not with the <index> element or its attributes (as far as I can tell).
>>The attributes are level1 - level4 and appear to correspond to what I
>>have suggested as key1 - key4, since they are not really levels
>>of indexing.
>>

>My understanding was that these _were_ levels in a sense:
>
><index index-name="subject" key1="Job" key2="theodicy" key3="parallel
> literature" key4="Babylonian sufferer">
>
>would result in an entry in the subject index that looks like this:
>
>Job
>  theodicy
>    parallel literature
>      Babylonian sufferer [id]
>
>If that doesn't correspond to your thinking, we need to talk.

Doesn't but that makes the TEI levels make a lot more sense. I do think
we need to make it an explicit semantic (for those prone to mis-reading
like myself) that what you have described is what we intend as a result.
That each key down (up?) the list is a sub-topic of the one that comes
before it. (key2 is a subtopic of key1, just for absolute clarity)

With that as the understood semantic, I withdraw the suggestion that
there is an implied see-also relationship, at least of the kind I was
contemplating.

Ah, and the ID applies only to the last entry in the list of keys.

OK, now that I think we are on the same page, what about this see/see
also mechanism?