[osis-core] Index Syntax

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 17:43:02 -0400

> Not with the <index> element or its attributes (as far as I can tell).
> The attributes are level1 - level4 and appear to correspond to what I
> have suggested as key1 - key4, since they are not really levels
> of indexing.

My understanding was that these _were_ levels in a sense:

<index index-name="subject" key1="Job" key2="theodicy" key3="parallel
 literature" key4="Babylonian sufferer">

would result in an entry in the subject index that looks like this:

Job
  theodicy
    parallel literature
      Babylonian sufferer [id]

If that doesn't correspond to your thinking, we need to talk.

A "see also" line might add this:

      <i>See also</i> Suffering - Theodicy

Could we handle like this:

<index index-name="subject" key1="Job" key2="theodicy" key3="parallel
 literature" key4="Babylonian sufferer" see="Suffering - Theodicy">

which the software could render as

      Babylonian sufferer [id]; <i>see also</i> Suffering - Theodicy

This would add only one attribute, and it would solve the problem. Only
problem is you have to parse the see attribute value to figure out how
to link to the appropriate (see also) spot in the index, but MOST see
alsos probably only reference a key1, not key2 key3 key4.  And software
that doesn't parse the see attribute gets decent fallback behavior -- the
reader will know where to look.

-Harry