[osis-core] begin/end [was: When an osisID is not an osisID?]

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 14:59:13 -0400

Troy,

Agree we did try to avoid some of the more difficult implementation
issues to get a schema out and failed. I do think we can finish the
current version and get it out without too much more delay.

Thanks for remembering what the problem case was for the ugly syntax!

Other than just arbitrary convention, is there some reason why I could
not do the following:

(Also uses present attribute names)

<verse osisID="John.1.1;John.1.2;John.1.3">, etc., so that a simple
substring match will find that John.1.2 is contained here?

Perhaps just for my own clarity: The target (of any pointer but in our
case of cite, outCite) is always osisID. The pointer, is always cite or
outCite, which can address a range of osisIDs.

The reason I point that out now is that I don't see the same
grainularity requirement in cite/outCite as I do for Troy's example of
osisID. For pointing to be successful by simple software/mechanisms, we
need to avoid complexity of osisID. On the other hand, so long as
resolving a reference results in you being delivered to the first
matching osisID, I think that is good enough for this release.

Does that help?

Patrick