[osis-core] begin/end [was: When an osisID is not an osisID?]

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 10:26:25 -0700

Ok, after rethinking things with the begin/end, I'm starting to remember
why we were requiring the ugly markup for these case as opposed to the
much nicer markup (both stated below):

ugly:

<verseStart refID="John.1.1" />
<verseStart refID="John.1.2" />
<verseStart refID="John.1.3" />
(John 1:1-3) In the beginning...
<verseEnd refID="John.1.1" />
<verseEnd refID="John.1.2" />
<verseEnd refID="John.1.3" />

clean:

<verse beginOsisID="John.1.1" endOsisID="John.1.3">
<reference osisRef="John.1.1-John.1.3">John 1:1-3</reference> In the
beginning...
</verse>

The ugly markup make for much easier code.  Consider this reference:

<reference osisRef="John.1.2">John 1:2</reference>

In the ugly code, we need no knowledge of reference schemas.
Introducing begin/end introduces the need for a hugely complex mechanism
to know that the 'clean' code, above, is a valid target for this reference.

If my memory serves me, we decided, in Dallas, to use the ugly coding so
we might put off the 'hugely complex mechanism', for now.