[osis-core] osisRef (finally)

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 09:04:43 -0400

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

>> Come to think of it, we were going to identify referenced works in the
>> header,
>> right?  So we'd never use Bible.KJV.Matt.1.2 -- instead we'd have
>> <work id="KJV" ...> in the header, and we'd use
>>
>> KJV.Matt.1.2.
>>
>> Is that correct?
>

> In an age long ago, we decided to specify a default reference work and
> schema in the header and allow overriding with something like:
>
> <reference work="Bible.NIV" refID="John.1.1">
>
> If the 'work' attribute was not present, then the default from the
> header would be assumed.

I think I am probably guilty of this more than anyone but it would be
helpful if we all used the most recent OSIS schema element and attribute
names (or noted "proposed" somewhere in the post) when we are discussing
constructs. I tend to focus on the syntax and strange usages tend to
throw me off the intended message.)

To restate Troy's example:

<verse osisID="John.1.1"> the osisID defaults to whatever work attribute
is declared in osisText.

Overriding happens in the following case:

<verse work="Bible.NIV" osisID="John.1.1">

Both cite and outCite should work differently with osisRef. The cite
should default to inside this document and hence subject to the default
declaration of work in the header. In other words, it is pointing to
another location in this document instance.

outCite, on the other hand, should (don't think it does at the moment or
at least is unclear) always require that the work be specified as part
of the pointer.

> I would like to hear some discussion about the:
>
> "Bible.KJV"
>
> text.  What exactly do people (you people) mean when they say this?
>
> 'Bible' as opposed to???  Commentary? Lexicon? DailyDevotional?  Are
> we really wanting to classify works other than Bibles at this level?
>
> 'KJV' meaning versification scheme? Actual work? If so, what edition?

Hmmm, I suspect that we need to unpack or at least make explicit what is
meant by our Bible.KJV reference.

At one level, it is a reference system that has been followed by any
number of other translations, but differing ones exist (Jewish, Korean
by pages, others).

This touches on Harry's question yesterday about mapping and reference
systems and I think I was assuming a standard system that was not being
explicitly stated.

I see edition, translation, etc. as separate issues (although important
ones) from the notion of references.

Thus, I should be able to say (in some syntax): Versification -
Standard, Translation/Edition (to specify a particular translation), etc.

Perhaps we should return to Harry's question of having a standard
versification (includes all apocrypha, etc.) since the greater includes
the lesser and simply say that is the standard versification by default
and that all others map to it? (Without attempting the mapping at this
late date.) I could probably cast together a pattern of "or" statements
that would validate any standard bible reference. (In other words,
unlike the regex that Todd and I labored so long on, it would have range
operators for the individual books and verses. Anyone who wants to use
an alternative versification, such as the Jewish one, could subtype that
standard and extend the range statements.

Therefore, our reference syntax would be:
Bible.Standard.(translation/edition)?.(book).(chapter)?.(verse)? with
the Bible.Standard.(translation/edition)? being held in "work"?

(After all, the chances of someone finding the incorrect reference when
someone calls out: John 5:39 are fairly small, no matter what
"translation/edition" they are using. I think we may be trying to solve
the odd case (primarily the Psalms but a few other places) elegantly
when there may be no elegant solution. I suggest "Let'em  map" and be
done with it. ;-) (Troy, you should appreciate the citation.)

Would it be sufficient to simply refer to the Oxford Study Bible (just
pick some edition) as the standard reference system for bible citations?
And perhaps offer a mapping mechanism for those who wish to use some
other system?

In terms of ease of use I think we should simply adopt Harry's
suggestion of declaring a standard system (like the Oxford bible) and
simply say that if you are different, for whatever reason, you have to
map back to that system. (Where it falls short is when other systems
declare headers as verses but that could be verse "0" in terms of
mapping to the standard system.)

This is one of the few really hard issues remaining so I would like to
see lively discussion and some resolution on this particular one. I can
clean up whatever syntax (with help from you guys) so let's hear some
proposals.