[osis-core] reference systems: Issue 1

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:49:55 -0600

If we are going to make to "compromise" to use works simply as the
"namespace" and not use reference system as the "namespace" which would
likely result in only two or three reference systems in common use for
Bibles, we should make every effort to avoid the NEED to perform
transformations (or check for a transformation) between identifiers in
different namespaces.

In many cases for Bibles (other works will not have as many versions,
editions, and reference systems) we should be able to use Bible:B.C.V as
self-identifiers in osisID as well as references in osisRef.  If a
references is made to a specific work Bible.tev:B.C.V and we can know
that the transformation between Bible and tev is identity by virture of
the case of the "t" in "tev" then so special software is required to
perform the transformation.

Further there would be no need even define a transformation if a simple
convention is in place.  (Ex: Bible.niv.-1993.en would require not
transformation be defined at all AND if the case were Bible.NIV.-1993.en
and Bible.NIV.-1999.en and Bible.NIV.student then not transformation
would need be made between the Bible.NIV versions.

Todd