[osis-core] reference systems: my thoughts - issues

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:04:38 -0400

> 4) Since we can specify a <refSystem> for a <work> that
> differs from the identifiers in the works "name", what form
> does the "fully formed" reference take if used externally.
> Example:
> (work is "Bible.NIV" and refSystem is Bible.French or
> (FrenchBible)) and the fully formed reference using the
> previous reference strategy is
> Bible.French[Bible.NIV]:Ps.44.3.  With the new strategy we
> can say neither Bible.French:Ps.44.3 nor Bible.NIV:Ps.44.3
> nor Bible.NIV:Ps.45.3. The issue being that we need a way to
> express a reference as a single string that includes BOTH the
> namespace of the work and the namespace of the identifier
> when the differ.
>
> Solutions?

OK, I suppose you are referring to osisIDs in a foreign
reference system, not osisRefs. That is, you want to do
something like this:

<osisText workID="matthew">
<works><work workID="matthew">
  <author>Todd Tillinghast</author>
  <title>Musings on Matthew</title>
  <identifier type="OSIS">tillinghast_matthew</identifier>
  <refSystem>Bible.NIV</refSystem>
</work></works>

<verse osisID="Matt.1.1">

In other words, you are writing a commentary on matthew and
you want to use IDs like Matt.1.1.  You want them to belong
to "Bible" not to "tillinghast_matthew".  Also, you want
to know how to reference them externally.

Does that capture the problem?

You would have to make a <work> element for the refernces
you want to use, e.g.

<work workID="lsv">
  <identfier type="OSIS">Bible.LSV</identifier>
  <refSystem>Bible.LXX</refSystem>
</work>

Then you would write the references as

  <verse osisID="lsv:Matt.1.1">

How to refer to this element in an osisRef?

Why not treat "Matt.1.1" as also belonging to tillinghast_matthew?
So you refer to it externally as tillinghast_matthew:Matt.1.1.

Of course, if you for some reason use "lxx:Matt.1.1" and
"lsv:Matt.1.1" you wouldn't be able to differentiate them. Is
this a problem?  If so, we may have to think of some additional
syntax.  Or maybe convert all references "Bible" first.

Hmmm, I need to think about this a bit more.

-Harry