[osis-core] osisCandidate: 005 (about to appear) comments on 006 (tomorrow)

Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:17:16 -0600

> > 1. Should osisID be required on <verse>
>
> I don't think osisID should be _required_ --
> what if I want to quote a verse but don't know
> the reference?  There may be unanticipated
> uses we'd be disallowing. And it doesn't harm
> the validity etc. of the document not to have
> osisIDs on verses.

Are you describing a case where a <verse> element is adopted into a
non-osis document OR the case where a <verse> is inside a note or as a
part of a commentary?

It seems to me that if you want to use the verse element either context
that it is reasonable to expect that an osisID be specified.  For the
cases where you don't know the verse, by requiring an osisID the encoder
would be required to do the leg work to find the reference.

Is there an angle I am not seeing?

Todd