[osis-core] osisID

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:41:43 -0700

I'm sick and groggy and frustrated with the quantity of osis-core email
that I have not read.  I'm thoroughly confused about many matters that I
once had solid in my head.  So as not to add enormously to the required
reading of everyone on the list, I'll post a few scattered
(scatterbrained) comments in this single email, below.

Could someone please give me pros as for what osisID is intended?

My understanding is that it IS the mechanism to mark anchors in a text
to which references may point.  It marks the main reference targets in a
doc.

Am I incorrect?

some examples from previous posts (ignore the syntax), that seem to
imply an osisID counterpart.

<reference
osisRef="augustine.confessions.pusey.1880(augustine.confessions.SPCK1912):X.iii.20">

<reference work="Bible.KJV"> osisRef="Bible.KJV:Gen.1.1">

<reference osisRef="lxx_en(Bible.KJV):Psalm.20">

OK, second question.  Assuming that I am correct.  Please have a look at
the module list here:

http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModDisp.jsp?modType=Commentaries

All of these commentaries are reference works aligned with Biblical
texts.  ie.  If I want to know what Matthew Henry thinks about James
1:19, I would go to the "James 1:19" entry in the MHC document.

How do you intend for me to encode and reference these commentaries?

Just like:
<reference
osisRef="augustine.confessions.pusey.1880(augustine.confessions.SPCK1912):X.iii.20">

points to a significant division of this document, so also, I would like
to do the same with these commentaries.

What would THEIR osisID be?

I have suggested <div osisID="Jas.1.19 Jas.1.20 Jas.1.21">commentary
text for <reference osisRef="Bible.KJV:Jas.1.19-Jas.1.21">James
1:19-21</reference></div>

I understand that the purpose of these commentaries is to comment or
reference the Bible, BUT these are the divisions in these types of
commentaries.  It makes sense to me to allow osisRef's to them, like any
other doc that we're marking up.

_*NOTE*_  I am *NOT* suggesting that the <reference> child annote
anything regarding its parent <div>; only, possibly, logically to a
human.  I would expect all Bible references IN THE TEXT to be marked
with <reference> tags, so as to allow software to know that they can
create hotlinks if desired, or whatever.

SO, if this is given, I'm not sure exactly what I think about:

<reference osisRef="MHC:Jas.1.20">James 1:20</reference>

What is MHC?  I guess I'm thinking that a work:osisID would be fine,
WITHOUT any kind of reference system.  If it was marked up such, it
would mean: "Go to this specific work and find the matching osisID".
It's fairly simple, I think.  Am I missing something?

1 Problem I can see:
If the work DID choose to state that it used multiple osisID reference
schemes to internally label itself, then it's default scheme would be
used.???

Thoughts about all these ideas?