[osis-core] Syntax Check

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:44:06 -0400

At 12:39 AM -0600 08/26/02, Todd Tillinghast wrote:
>Patrick,
>
>This is a departure from what I understood regarding the structure for a
>reference.
>
>We MUST ALWAYS have a REFERENCE SYSTEM and WORK is always OPTIONAL.

that's the part I still don't get. If we don't have both a refsystem
and a work,  at least by default, a reference is meaningless, right?
Like what is "foo.1.1"?

But given that, isn't it simply a question of which one(s) we allow
people to leave to default?

I think when average people write "KJV" or "Bible.KJV" or whatever,
they will be thinking of the work, not the references system -- most
people don't even know that there is more than one reference system.
Thus, I think that if someone writes just "Bible.KJV:Matt.1.1" it
behooves us to treat that as a work.

At one point we had the notion that works would be declared in the
header, and that a work declaration could also specify the reference
system(s) it supports. If we allowed works to simply specify their
default reference system within their <work> declaration element,
then specifying the work without a reference system anywhere else, is
well-defined because you simply use that default.

I don't have a problem with allowing a reference like
"(Hebrew):Psal.1.1", which gives only a reference system -- the
meaning would then be, *any* version that supports that reference
system (which itself is declared in the header).

I'm thinking that we may want to reserve prefixes in a later spec, so
that OSIS-aware systems can count on them without everybody having to
re-declare them all the time; but that we can add easily enough.

Does that make sense?

>There has been discussion of short cuts and aliases but in the end when
>all of the short cuts and aliases are expanded it is ok for a reference
>or self-id to have ONLY a reference system and it is NEVER ok for a
>reference or self-id to have ONLY a work.

Did I address this ok above?

>This is the first I am seeing "(split)" as a part of reference.  Can you
>explain what its purpose is?

That's the segmentID or splitID or whatever, for identifying the
various pieces of a segmented verse.

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net