[osis-core] Syntax Check

Mon, 26 Aug 2002 00:39:16 -0600

Patrick,

This is a departure from what I understood regarding the structure for a
reference.

We MUST ALWAYS have a REFERENCE SYSTEM and WORK is always OPTIONAL.

There has been discussion of short cuts and aliases but in the end when
all of the short cuts and aliases are expanded it is ok for a reference
or self-id to have ONLY a reference system and it is NEVER ok for a
reference or self-id to have ONLY a work.

This is the first I am seeing "(split)" as a part of reference.  Can you
explain what its purpose is?

The way I understand the regex is the following.

refsys(work):canonical@grain-canonical@grain

Where:
1) work is optional
2) @grain is optional in both places
3) there must be a value follwing the "-" symbol
4) refsys: can be defaulted based on the declaration of defaultRefSys
attribute in <osisText>

the other alternative is
alias:canonical@grain-canonical@grain
where alias is refsys or refsys(work) based on an alias element in the
header.

If we want to allow a "work" name to substitute for "refsys(work)" based
on the reference system declared for the work in the header, that would
be doable if we required a reference system attribute for every work
element.  I don't think this is a good idea because it overloads the
meaning of the suffix.

Todd