[osis-core] osisCore_Candiate_1.1_003 - 11 osisRef URLs

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:59:59 -0400

Steve,

Any problems with Harry's distinction between a <reference> and an <a>
element?

I think Harry has captured the essence of a reference, which may be an
allusion, reference, even a citation of another work ("The Wars of
YHWH") for example, to which no osisRef exists. It is still a reference
and an encoder might be interested in marking all the references to such
works, whether acessible online or even in existence.

The <a> element, on the other hand, carries only the notion that the
surrounded text is a pointer to other material. The material pointed to
may confirm, contradict, or expand, contract what is said in the text or
may be completely irrelevant. The relationship between the content of an
<a> element, without more in the markup, is just undefined.

I don't see traversal as being the defintion

Harry, does that capture the essence of what you were saying?

Patrick