[osis-core] <work>, <works>, etc in OSIS schema

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 17:00:43 -0400

Guys,

Sorry for the long silence over the weekend but I think I have been
catching up on some much needed sleep for the final push!

Working on the latest batch of issues and wanted to run the following by
everyone before sending it out as the next version in the morning.

I think Harry's point about duplication is well taken and I would
tenatively suggest the following structure:

<header> which consists of <works> (one only and it is required)

<works> is required to have one <work> element (or more) and it has all
the stuff that was in the header, plus <refSystems>, so you can declare
a <refSystem) (child of <refSystems>) as part of a work.

<refSystems> is not required but if used, must have at least one
<refSystem> as a child.

<refSystem> has all the stuff from header but not <refSystems> or
<refSystem>

I have not mentioned the syntax of the osisIDs, osisRefs but will get to
that later tonight or early tomorrow.

Questions:

1. Does this avoid the duplication and possible confusion that Harry was
justifiably worried about? (Or do you know a better way?)

2. Without regard to the syntax of the expressions, do  you like the
idea of having the ability to include refSystem declarations within the
<work> which may be the work you are editing or a work you intend to cite?