[osis-core] Questions about osisRefs

Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:47:58 -0600

Steve,

> At 11:51 AM -0400 08/22/02, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> >>3.  I want to refer to Psalm.20 (KJV reference system) of the
English
> >>    LXX.
> >>
> >>    [same <work> entry as above]
> >>
> >>    <reference osisRef="lxx_en(Bible.KJV):Psalm.20">
> >>
> >I am not certain why the reference system should be in the attribute
> >value. Changing your work declaration slightly:
> >
> ><work osisWork="lxx_en" refSystem="Bible.KJV">
> >	    <title>Septuagint</title>
> >	    <language>en</language>
> >	  </work>
>
> That certainly works; you point to the work and the work points to
> the reference system. Except that:
>
> If a work supports multiple reference systems, you'd have to
> redeclare the work for each
>
> If you want to use a reference system the work doesn't support
> (because you know or are willing to risk that a mapping exists),
> you'd have no way to do it.
>
> I thought that's why we had the refsys allowed in () after the work
> in any reference.....

We ALWAYS have a reference system it is the WORK that is optional and is
in the ().

Since the reference system is always present and the work is optional
then we can always create a reference with respect to a reference system
and use any work we want assuming that there is a mapping.

As such the refSystem attribute in <work> serves no purpose other than
to give some indication that the work supports that reference system.  I
think we should delete such an attribute if it is even present in the
current version.

<snip>

Todd