[osis-core] osisCore_Candiate_1.1_003 - 11 osisRef URLs

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:51:59 -0400

At 01:20 PM -0600 08/21/02, Todd Tillinghast wrote:
>We had discussed an <a> element at one point and decided not have such
>an element.  The decision was that we would consider in a future release
>support of XLink and XPointer type expressions in a reference like
>element or even in an enhanced <reference> element.

I thought we decided *to* put <a> in for general linking (otherwise
we have no ability to cross-reference anything *except* Bibles), but
had decided not to try to do XLink syntax and semantics. As it turns
out.

>All sorts of reasons not to put an <a> element in.
>
>If you need an href in you presentation then it is possible to create an
>specify an URL for a work in the <work> element.  More thought needed.

What does "in your output" mean? Seems to imply there is always some
transform in place, which doesn't seem necessary; I can drop osis
straight into a browser, for example; and I'm lobbying MS to add
hooks to facilitate parallel-scrolling, which might make that a nice
solution if I happen to move the juggernaut. But in any case, it
seems to me we need some basic generic link for lots of things.

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net