[osis-core] Reference to entire work?

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:41:40 -0400

> Option 1: <reference osisRef="Bible.KJV(Bible.KJB):Gen.1.1">
>
> OR if you don't like the (Bible.KJV) (Steve thinks it is
> "tacky") Then
> Option 2: <reference work="Bible.KJV"
> osisRef="Bible.KJV:Gen.1.1"> I think this is an unfortunate
> alternative only because you need two values rather than one
> to describe the reference, but agree that it looks cleaner.
> And would be easier in some ways because you wouldn't have to
> parse out the work.
>
> I think this is a matter of personal preference.  We need to
> make a decision and go with it.  I will agree with the
> alternative that the group prefers.

I would like to see a single string that identifies reference
system, work, and osisID.

Todd's proposal is fine with me, or any syntax that puts it all
into a single string. The workID should be optional.

One issue that seems to me to be unresolved is this: does the
workID merely point to a <work workID="xxx"> element, or does
it have some external significance?  If external, how are these
things defined, kept unique, etc?  Same thing for reference
system identifiers.

-Harry