[osis-core] Reference to entire work?

Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:13:31 -0600

Patrick,

> Todd,
>
> Just a question at this point on the exchange about pointing to an
> entire work.
>
> Assuming that the osisRef is bound to a <work> element in the header,
> which could (would need to add probably) a statement about its
internal
> reference system, I am not certain I understand the issue about
> "pointing to the entire work?"

I am not sure how we bind an osisRef to a <work> element?
We have not reached a consensus regarding how to form a work specific
reference.

> If Bible.KJV:Gen.1.1 is pointing at the first verse of the first
chapter
> of Genesis in the King James Version of the Bible,

Actually Bible.KJV:Gen.1.1 is an identifier for the first verse of the
first chapter of Genesis in the King James Version reference system but
not necessarily to the King James Version of the Bible.  If we want to
make version specific reference we need to do something like:

Option 1: <reference osisRef="Bible.KJV(Bible.KJB):Gen.1.1">

OR if you don't like the (Bible.KJV) (Steve thinks it is "tacky")
Then
Option 2: <reference work="Bible.KJV" osisRef="Bible.KJV:Gen.1.1">
I think this is an unfortunate alternative only because you need two
values rather than one to describe the reference, but agree that it
looks cleaner.  And would be easier in some ways because you wouldn't
have to parse out the work.

I think this is a matter of personal preference.  We need to make a
decision and go with it.  I will agree with the alternative that the
group prefers.

> why isn't: Bible.KJV pointing to the work as a whole? (Leaving aside
for
> the moment Harry's question about short aliases to works, although I
> think it works there as well).

I agree that Bible.KJV would point to the entire REFERENCE SYSTEM.  The
problem we have is that we need the ":" to distinguish between
references that have defaulted the reference system and references that
specify the reference system.  If we simply say "Bible.KJV", I would
expect that it would be intrepted as a reference in the default
reference system (Bible.KJV:Bible.KJV in expanded form is "Bible.KJV" is
the default reference system).  That actually is not too bad now that I
look at it!

Three options:
1) Don't allow references to the entire reference system and/or work.

2) Make the reference system on both sides of the ":" mean the entire
reference system. osisRef="Bible.KJV" where the default reference system
is "Bible.KJV" to mean osisRef="Bible.KJV:Bible.KJV" in expanded form OR
spelled out as in osisRef="Bible.TEV:Bible.TEV".  This still does not
give us a reference to an entire work just an entire reference system.
I suppose we would either have:
2.a) <reference osisRef="Bible.TEV(Bible.TEV):Bible.TEV(Bible.TEV)"/> OR
2.b) <reference work="Bible.TEV" osisRef="Bible.TEV:Bible.TEV"/>

3) If the identifier is one of the NAMED works or reference systems
specifically defined in a <work> or <refSystem> element in the header
then the reference points to the entire reference system or work.  I
LIKE THIS!  The only problem is what a work and reference system can be
named the same thing.  (This is an other good reason not to have them be
IDs.)  This allows us to reference works without a reference system when
referring to the entire work.  This does sort of overload the meaning of
osisRef though.
3.a) <reference osisRef="Bible.KJV"/> ambiguous if "Bible.KJV" is
defined as a work and a reference system.
3.b) <reference work="Bible.KJV" osisRef=""/> invalid syntax for
osisRef.
3.c) <reference work="Bible.KJV" osisRef="Bible.KJV"/> the reference
system is not needed but the syntax is correct.
3.d) <reference osisRef="Bible.KJV(Bible.KJV)"/> again the reference
system is not needed but the syntax is correct.

Thoughts?