[osis-core] Questions about osisRefs

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:28:29 -0400

> My view is that xxx is a reference system (not an aliased
> reference system but a standardized reference system identifier).
>
> And that if you want to create a reference to a specific work
> that the form xxx(zzz):yyy would be used, where zzz is the
> standardized work identifier.
>
> However, yesterday Steve brought up objections to the
> xxx(zzz):yyy form. The alternatives as posted yesterday are
> to put the work some place else in the reference or to put
> the work as a separate attribute in the <reference> element.
> <reference work="zzz" osisRef="xxx:yyy"/>

So it would be like this, modulo reference syntax?

<header>
  <title>Augustine's Confessions</title>
  <creator role="Author">St. Augustine</creator>
  <creator role="translator">Pusey</creator>
  <publisher>S.P.C.K.</publisher>
  <date>1912</date>

  <works>
    <work osisWork="augustine.confessions.SPCK1912">
      <title>Augustine's Confessions</title>
      <creator role="author">St. Augustine</creator>
      <creator role="translator">Pusey</creator>
      <publisher>S.P.C.K.</publisher>
      <date>1912</date>
    </work>
  </works>

  <refSystems>
    <refSystem refSystem="augustine.confessions.pusey.1880">
      <title>Augustine's Confession</title>
      <creator role="author">St. Augustine</creator>
      <creator role="translator">Pusey</creator>
      <language>en</language>
      <date>1880</date>
    </refSystem>
  </refSystems>
</header>

<reference
osisRef="augustine.confessions.pusey.1880(augustine.confessions.SPCK1912
):X.iii.20">

Hmmm, a bit wordy, redundant, repetitive, and verbiageful...

-Harry