[osis-core] Questions about osisRefs

Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:51:12 -0600

> I admit it, I'm confused.
>
> I had thought that in an osisID like
>
>     xxx:yyy
>
> the xxx was a reference system.  In my last messages,
> it seems to have become an osisWork, i.e. a pointer to
> a <work> element which may be just a reference system,
> or it may define a particular edition of a book.
>
> Which is it?
>
> If it's a reference system, how do I request Matt.1.1 in
> a particular edition or version? Or has it really morphed
> into an osisWork identifier?
>
> -Harry

My view is that xxx is a reference system (not an aliased reference
system but a standardized reference system identifier).

And that if you want to create a reference to a specific work that the
form xxx(zzz):yyy would be used, where zzz is the standardized work
identifier.

However, yesterday Steve brought up objections to the xxx(zzz):yyy form.
The alternatives as posted yesterday are to put the work some place else
in the reference or to put the work as a separate attribute in the
<reference> element.
<reference work="zzz" osisRef="xxx:yyy"/>

IN NO CASE can there be a reference without a reference system.

Todd