[osis-core] annotateWork and annotateType

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:55:45 -0400

> Agreed, better understanding what the purpose of annotation,
> I see how a reference to a whole work does not make sense (I
> think I may have been thrown off by the "Work" in annotation
> work").  To me this further suggests that eliminating
> annotationWork and annotationType in favor of using a child
> <reference> element.

I am not wild about the idea of using a child <reference/> element. Do I
assume that this <reference/> element applies to the smallest containing
element? Then I suppose I would have to write an xpath expression to
find it.

To me that seems rather messy and contrary to the spirit of XML.  You
normal approach would be <hi>emphasized</hi>.
The messiness arises from those Xpath expressions that would be required
for finding the commentary on Matt.1.13, etc. -- the search is not as
straightforward. You can't search for the element with
annotateWork="Matt.1.13" and annotateType="commentary".

-Harry