[osis-core] New work item to consider?

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:49:46 -0400

I've been digging through the IETF RFCs for background for a book,
and I've noticed a pattern: there are many recent RFCs that define
URN namespaces for various things -- it occurs to me we ought to do
formal ones for works, reference systems, etc. -- most of the things
we've been talking about standardizing names for.

Likewise an osis: URI scheme as Harry mentioned in earlier mail

Among the relevant RFCs:

1737 URN functional requirements
1738 URLs
2141 URN syntax
2168 Resolution of URIs
2276 URN resolution architecture
2396 URI generic syntax
2483 URI resolutino necessary for URNs
2611 URN namespace definition
2648 URN namespace for IETF documents
2717 Registration procedures for URI schemes
2718 URL scheme guidelines
2806 URI scheme for telephone and fax calls
2838 URI scheme for TV broadcasts
3061 URN namespace for Object Identifiers
3043 URN namespace for people and organizations
3044 URN namespace for ISSNs
3085 URN namespace for NewsML
3120 URN namespace for XML.org
3121 A URN Namespace for OASIS
3151 A URN Namespace for Public Identifiers
3187 Using International Standard Book Numbers as URNs
3188 Using National Bibliography Numbers as URNs

Oy. I guess I should try to read all these. Then I have to rewrite a
bit of the XPointer spec tonight. will try to finiish catching up on
osis-core first.